Thursday, April 16, 2009

Why sisterlocks?



I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. I was enjoying the freedom of having my hair in the two strand twist style. They were a new way to express myself. I had purchased headbands in every color imaginable to co-ordinate with my outfits. I think my colleagues would drop by just to see what I had wrapped around my head for that day. One evening at my weekly bowling league one of the ladies whose hair is locked in beautiful long traditional locks said to me, "Oh you're getting sisterlocks?" I had no idea what she was talking about but she encouraged me not to give up. I had thought about locking my hair several times over the past ten years but always found myself falling into the vicious cycle of having my hair permed.
That evening I went googled "Sisterlocks". To my surprise I found myself fascinated with the google images that appeared. Over the course of the next month I must have spent 100 hours researching everything there was to know about Sisterlocks. I had read the entire block history of so many women who inspired me to step out and take the journey into the endless styling possibilities and beauty that Sisterlocks had to offer.
I also learned that this experience did come at a hefty price tag but I was used to pay over $275 for a custom wig or $2,000 for a hair system. Why not invest in growing my own hair so that if my hair was flowing down my back it would truly be my hair. I had been three years since my last relaxer. I had cut off all of the permed hair over the span of those three years. There was really nothing standing in my way. The sisterlocks community was so vast. Each blog I read, each story that I followed made me more and more excited about the prospect of locking my hair. After months of research I shared my desire with my husband. He was a little apprehensive because over the past eight years with him I have gone through many hair phases with the same zeal that I was expressing about the idea of getting sisterlocks. Being the supportive husband that he is he said that he would be happy with whatever I decided to do with my hair.

6 comments:

Gigglz said...

Over the years I myself have had many hairstyles as well. I was so enthusiastic about those styles as I am was with the sisterlocks. The difference in my excitement and enthusiasm is that I have made a commitment to myself that I will see this through and not get frustrated by not receiving instant gratification. It is my hair that is growing I don't need to add any or take it out every 6-8 weeks all I need to do is treat it good. Best of luck on your journey as you begin, I'm only a few weeks ahead but I will definitely keep my eye on your progress.

Spicylocks said...

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I will be following your blog as well. We'll monitor each others progress as we take on this new and exciting journey.

msfullroller said...

Welcome to locked side! lol Your Sisterlocks look great and glad to see a fellow lady bowler. I've not bowled league for the past 2 years but I hope to get back to it.

Spicylocks said...

I really enjoy bowling, my average is 183. Thank you so much for reading my blog. I am very excited each day to see what the day will bring. Thank you for welcoming me to the locked side

christilocs said...

Your locs look beautiful. Like you I have wanted natural hair for so long but too afraid of how I would look. Now my husband tells me I better than ever and I think so too. Welcome to the sisterhood. Enjoy

Spicylocks said...

Thank you so much for your warm welcome into SL. Your locks are soo pretty. I enjoying the process and especially the new found freedom. It is the encouragement and information that I have learned from the many blogs that keeps me strong and I really appreciate it.